Rajma rice is not a dish; it's a combo of feeling, love, and emotions for every Indian. Its decorum reveals a sense of royalty, so it is served as a palate, irrespective of any occasion, be it a marriage, ceremony or a simple lunch. Its appetizing aroma can be smelt at every second house on the street. You can say it's a 'Dish of every house.'
This finger-licking good dish very cleverly sets in every mood to lift up the happiness. The reason Indians go gaga over it is because of its thick and mildly spicy gravy that excellently combines with kidney beans and rice producing the perfect meal.
But did you know that this incredible recipe is actually not Indian (sorry Indians!). The dish is an original of Mexico, brought by the Portuguese to India. But yes, another fact is that the dish has been made more delicious by North Indians with the addition of onions, Chutney, Papadum, and Raita (a condiment made from yogurt/curd).
Rajma Rice and Health:
Most people don't prefer Rajma rice, assuming that it may not be a healthy option to choose. But a plate of Rajma rice is a complete protein meal. Read some nutritional facts about the beloved Rajma rice and get surprised:
The combo meal fulfills 40-50% of daily dietary fiber needs. Fiber keeps the bowel smooth, reduces constipation, and lowers the blood cholesterol level.
Keeps you full for long hours
The abundance of minerals, calcium, and iron in it makes it a low glycemic food that keeps your stomach full for longer hours, giving no hunger pangs.
When nutrition complements taste, why look for junk food when hungry? No need to head to an Indian restaurant to have the delicious Rajma rice. It's one of the easiest dishes to cook. So follow some quick steps and have a deliciously healthy plate -
Ingredients (For Rajma)
- 2 cups of Pride of India Rajma/Kidney Beans (soaked overnight)
- 3 onions (finely chopped)
- 5 cloves of garlic (chopped)
- ½ inch ginger (julienned)
- 1 green chili (finely chopped)
- 3 tomatoes (grated)
- ¾ teaspoon Pride of India Ground Turmeric Powder
- 2 teaspoons Pride of India Coriander Powder
- 1 teaspoon Rajma Masala
- 1 teaspoon Pride of India Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- Salt (as desired)
- 3 teaspoons oil
Ingredients (For Rice)
- 1 cup Pride of India Basmati Rice (soaked for 2 hours)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 cups water
Recipe (To make Rajma Curry)
- Take the soaked kidney beans in a pressure cooker, add a little salt into it, and let it boil in water for 30 minutes.
- Take a Karahi, pour the oil, and heat it.
- Add cumin seeds.
- Add onions and sauté till golden brown.
- Add garlic, ginger and green chilli.
- Add Rajma Masala, coriander powder, red chilli powder and Garam Masala powder and tomatoes.
- Now, wait till the mixture leaves oil.
- Pour the mixture from the Karahi into the pressure cooker in which the Rajma has been boiled.
- Mix well, and give it 1-2 whistles in the pressure cooker.
- Turn the stove off, open the cooker, and let it simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
Recipe (To make Rice)
- Take a boiler, and add oil in it.
- Add cumin seeds.
- Add water.
- Add soaked rice into the boiler.
- Cook rice for 15 minutes.
So here you go, a delicious treat! Rajma Rice tastes 2 times better when eaten with your friends. So plan a get-together and spread more love with Rajma rice. Enjoy your meal!